[OSM-talk-be] Problematic GSM Antenna import

Lennard ldp at xs4all.nl
Thu Apr 21 19:38:42 UTC 2011

On 19 April 2011, user Drupol[1] imported 8206 nodes[2] tagged as
communications towers. These nodes are all over Belgium.

I am now publicly declaring this import to be a candidate for a revert,
pending a good explanation from the import user.

Almost every step that is part of the code of conduct[3] for automated
edits has been neglected. Some points:

* No details have been given for this import. Where does the data come
from? Under which license has it been released? Is this license
compatible with OSM?
* No source tag. None of the nodes have been tagged with the source of
the import.
* The import was not added to the Import Catalogue[4]. This catalogue
documents imports that have been done or are ongoing, including relevant
details, like license, source=* tag, contact person, releasing organisation.
* And the most important of all: This import was done out of the blue.
No public discussion has been held. None that I can find, that is.

I'm hereby asking the import user to come forward with answers to my
concerns and if the import is compatible and desired by the community,
to address the other items I've addressed.

I'm currently unable to send messages through the OpenStreetMap system.
I have asked Ben Laenen to forward this message to the user, asking him
to reply here if possible.

[1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Drupol
[2] http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/7911333
[3] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Automated_Edits/Code_of_Conduct