[OSM-talk-be] Talk-be Digest, Vol 49, Issue 9

Sander Deryckere sanderd17 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 08:04:07 UTC 2012

2012/1/20 Marc Gemis <marc.gemis at gmail.com>

> Jo,
>
> do you mean that I need to prove that I actually was in a certain
> street before I can remove and remap it ? Do you still have all data
> (on paper, gps track, photo, etc.) of everything that you ever mapped
> ?
>
> What about landuse ? This is always mapped from satellite images ( I
> assumue). So why should one wait until it disappeared before mapping
> it again ?
> An example is the Lippelobos (close to Lippelo - what a surprise ;-)
> )  I know it's called Lippelobos, I've been there before, so I can
> remove the current area, and use Bing satellite images to remap it.
> But you say I have to wait until it's actually gone ?
>
> What about streets that I've passed when I surveyed for the
> knooppunten ? I did not write down the name of the streets because
> they were there. If I had known they would we lost, I would have noted
> them down.
> It's also easier when I delete/re-add the streets now than loose them
> and my own mapping work above them.
>
> regards

This was my mail, not Jo's.

You never have to prove where you got your data from (innocent until the
contrary is proven). But I just don't want to give anyone a reason to sue
OSM.

When you remove a way, and map it again from the satellite images, this is
completely legal. But if you remember the name before you remove it, and
apply that name to the new way, then you create some tricky things. One
could argue that the name is from the original map, so it is a derived work
from the original map, and you can't redistribute it under ODBL. This is
the case for all tags on the way that can't be seen from satellite images
(maxspeed, oneway ...).

I'm not a lawyer and I've never followed any law courses, but I do remember
that OSM asks to give nobody a reason to sue OSM, as even a court that is
won by OSM could seriously hurt OSM.

So all mappers have to decide for themselves, I can only say what I think
about it.

Cheers,
Sander