[OSM-talk-be] Land-use mapping with OSM in Belgium

Lionel Giard lionel.giard at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 13:42:26 UTC 2017

That's definitely an interesting answer. It seems that dividing the large
landuse=residential is something that we should do (as it seems logical,
even if can be tedious sometimes).

I did some digging into the wiki for trees tagging and came to these
conclusions. When we think about the key definition of landuse
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landuse>, landcover
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Landcover> (including its proposed page
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/landcover>) and
natural <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:natural>, i came to the
conclusion that the only landuse tag for tree is "landuse=forest". Because
the key "natural" is described as a landcover representation. It seems that
natural=wood is one of the only special case where a natural tag does
represent landuse in common usage (and it seems wrong relatively to the
definition).

If we follow strict definition, the only landuse tag for trees/forest is
"landuse=forest". The others are for landcover (like the proposed
landcover=trees). Should we then be conservative and use only
landuse=forest in Belgium (especially because the definition for
natural=wood is very rare for us) ? And use landcover tag on top of others
landuses if needed (like for tree in parks).

Following all these definition note that landuse include the keys
landuse=*,  amenity=*, leisure=* and tourism=* all as landuse
representation, it implies that we should also remove the
landuse=residential (or any other) where we have something like
amenity=school (because it is already a landuse that probably better fit
than the landuse=residential).  What do you think about that ?