[OSM-talk-be] mapping accessibility of the Brussels Foret de Soignes with official data

joost schouppe joost.schouppe at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 19:43:34 UTC 2021

Hi,

A small group of OSMbe folks met with David Kuborn from the Fondation
Soignes/Stichting Zonien - thanks to Pieter Vander Vennet, who organized a
meeting with forest guard that had been deleting some paths.

We kept talking with his colleague Martin de Bock, and we now have some
data about paths and explicit permission to use it. They intend to start
using OSM as a basemap and for routing. In order to do that, it is
important that conflicts between our and their data are resolved. I've
already looked at the data, and did spot some errors (or missing data)
about accessibility in OSM.

The permission letter is at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Authorization_of_the_use_and_sharing_of_data_-_Brussels_undersigned.pdf

You can download the data at:
https://github.com/osmbe/community_planning/tree/master/foret-soignes

Considering the complexity of verifying the data, I think it might be best
to systematically go through the area (perhaps in the form of a tasking
manager task, or maybe just a shared umap?) and mark places where it is
hard to verify with a fixme tag. I can easily go check a few places myself,
but not all of them :)

If you're interested in the topic, feel free to reply here or contact me
personally to plan this task.

--
All the best,
Joost Schouppe