[Talk-ca] TTC in Toronto

Jason Reid osm at bowvalleytechnologies.com
Wed Aug 27 22:57:55 BST 2008

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> I'm a newbie.  I went to a great presentation by Richard Weait at NewTLUG
> last night.
>
> I'd like to view TTC routes in OSM and there are a bunch of things I don't
> know.
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Canada:Ontario:Toronto
> shows a legend.  The symbol for public transit (roughly) is described in
> German.  So too is the symbol for public wilderness (roughly).  How come?
>
> How does one ask for transit routes to be displayed?  For example, they
> don't show up in this:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=43.6599&lon=-79.3859&zoom=14&layers=B0FT
> (I got that from googling for TTC and openstreetmap; it has TTC stations.)
>
> Is the trick to do something like changing the layers= part of that URL?
> Do more controls show up if I sign up and log in?

The bigger question is whether the routes are even mapped? From what I
can decipher from that page (which likely was borrowed from the wiki
page for a german city) the status is unknown for the transit related
map data. I know that for Calgary we've barely entered any routes yet,
mostly just the LRT line, and I suspect that the TTC stuff is at a
similar state. (Anyone from that area please correct me if I am wrong).

-Jason Reid