[Talk-ca] Import .mp into OSM

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 08:08:44 GMT 2008

Hi Simon, (cc'd talk-ca list.)

I just saw your name listed on the code section, thought i'd ping ya.
http://forums.gps.org.nz/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4141

Have you given it any thought? ... about say... importing Ibycus tiles
directy to OSM? ...
or is it better to stick with importing it directly from the source?
'cause Ibycus already did the leg work for it .. and it's from the same
source.??? .. downloading the IMG files, opening them up in GPSMapedit and
saving as MP files.

This came about as im on the 'Yahoo map authors" mailing list, discussing
copyright issue. a quick search of 'openstreetmap' and i can see it kindof
active. ...  not sure yet if the 'cc-sa' concept is known by all. ... as
it's a trickey issue.  ... as we all like the feeling of 'ownership'.

and BTW, for the updates... ya direct from the source is great.

(I explained it on the wiki Ibycus Topo page, hopefuly it's clear. .. please
correct me) .. how it's like 200 people all at the same time working on
GPSMapEdit program... and simultaniously rendering maps out of it)  ... JOSM
does what GPSMapEdit cannot do.

-after a second look, it was back in may /june when u imported red90's
'calgary area trails' map, using mp2osm (with some code)

We had the discussion where obviously my 'home made' across canada
trails map cant be added.

Then this begs the question: can my tct map be imported? -we can
reference tctrail.ca on each official segment. ??

So ya, we still need to define the 'conversion list' so perhaps this
is possable?
-and ya, im still leaning towards the provinces with the most data 1st.
Once 1 province gets imported, we then have something to show, so
perhaps its enough to push nfld and the others to release the road
data that geobase is waiting for.
If this idea is a 'go' im willing to concentrate my efforts in
creating a ibycus topo canada, and removing everything but the
contours (as thats not wanted for osm).
So the result would be people loading computer teddy's maps, and/or
cloudmade's correcting bikemap.
Cheers, sam