[Talk-ca] GeoBase Import - Another idea

Kevin Farrugia kevinfarrugia at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 01:03:48 GMT 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Sam Vekemans
<acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi here's another 2 cents in the bucket.
>  ... IMO were better off working from the ground up, and getting local
> areas to ask builders/road planners to post the updates, as soon
> as construction is finished.... rather than wait for information to be
> passed along the government channels.
>
> So importing all the data as nodes rather than as ways, for all of Canada,
> we can have the updates imported as nodes.. and not WAYS. . this way, it
> keeps it optional if OpenStreetMap users decide to use it, it's available.
> (for address ranges... we can use a line which is the 1st line of 4 for the
> residential area) .. showing up as a dash-dot-dash line.)
>
> And by importing everything to the areas with very little data (and in
> agreement with local area mappers) a decision would be made on how much data
> should be imported.  (as shape/lines & points of interest).
>
> and by working on the list (im still working on the CanVec feature list)
> and the GeoBase list we can see the Matches that need to be made.

I thought that we were just going to stick with Geobase data because CanVec
data is split into tiles while Geobase is continuous and everything or most
features will eventually be imported into Geobase anyways -- as per Michael
Mepham's email on December 15.  It sounds much more beneficial to use
geobase over CanVec data from reading that email.

> So by not concerning ourselves with how these lines/areas  should be
> imported, as long as it gets shown up as a series of nodes, with
> its references listed we should be happy with that. (and yes, the basic list
> is needed)
>
> As.. afterall, once the 1st round of data is imported, we can already begin
> to approach each local area municipal planning department, and as them, if
> they can provide a copy of the latest developments which have been approved,
> as they happen.
>
> once momentum builds, more and more local area residence (regular people,
> using the map for whatever purpose), will be contributing to the project, as
> they see fit.
>
> Once a new geobase import comes around, it all gets shown as nodes... and
> so, the local area residences, as essentially draw on the map (connecting
> the dots), just as wood stakes are put in the ground, to show where the new
> roads (land use) will be.
>
> I hope this makes sence.
>
> Sam Vekemans
> Across Canada Trails

I don't think approaching planning departments individually would be the
greatest idea because of the vast amount of time and coordination it would
take to set that up and sustain it for the long run.  The update time of 6
months for the GeoBase data, in my opinion, is perfect because a massive
dataset is updated at one time rather than in patches and it all has some
sort of a minimum standard to it since it's coming from one datasource.
There could also be problems with things matching up between two cities,
etc.

I don't really know if the import should turn everything into nodes rather
than lines, seems like much more trouble to me than just having the lines
imported.

Kevin Farrugia
Kevo