[Talk-ca] GeoBase Import - Another idea

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 06:06:28 GMT 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 4:04 PM, Sam Vekemans
<acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com> wrote:

>  ... IMO were better off working from the ground up, and getting local areas
> to ask builders/road planners to post the updates, as soon
> as construction is finished.... rather than wait for information to be
> passed along the government channels.

Yeah, good luck on getting that to happen. I'm sure that everyone out
there that puts information into their database is also going to take
the time to upload their data into every database that exists in the
cyber-world... If I'm a surveyor working for ABC Survey Company, my
boss is paying me to input the information I collect into their
database... he's not going to pay me to input the data into OSM. If
you think OSM is going to get preferential treatment, then every other
project or fly by night hairbrained scheme out there will want, and
should expect the same treatment.

One central repository is the best way to compile the information, and
GeoBase is that repository. You get the update when they give it out.

James
VE6SRV