[Talk-ca] [OSM-talk] GeoBase nodes import

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 12:22:36 GMT 2008

2008/12/17 Sam Vekemans <acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com>:

> So for example, importing a park (in a mapped area) we would just show
> the outline dots of the park, and the user can connect the dots and
> show it the 'right' way osm-style.

So we would discard the knowledge of the sequence in which the nodes
should be added to the ways? This seems like a bad idea. I've
encountered irregular shapes before where having the nodes does not
show clearly in which order to connect them. And that's leaving aside
the fact that there's an awful lot of work involved in this. Far
better to push forward with some of the JOSM enhancements proposed to
allow easier management (through hiding) of clutter. Doing this, you
could happily namespace the imported ways and users not actively
involved with the de-duping task could simply hide them.

Dermot