[Talk-ca] OSM Addressing Posts

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 04:49:37 GMT 2008

Hi Dave and talk-ca list,

re: ontario address
well, because stats can has not shared the data with geobase, it isnt
part of the set.
However, there is plans to get that data, just might take some time.
Its unfortunate that all the data is not available from just 1 source.
(so we will use the best available)

The raw tracks i used for the TCT map, came directly from TCT.
The Across Canada Trails tracks came from (personal use only) copied
routes from bikely & google directions kml files.

I look forward to seeing the bike clubs trails (but if it was compiled
from many sources; it cant be used outside personal use only (just
like my TCT map)

re: business management plan

Well, the project is built from natural croud sourcing and wiki style building.
Those who wish todo more can, we just ask everyone to check with the
community before doing anything drastic.
Ie. The foundation sugested complete test areas for this geobase
import; and thats exactly what we are planning.

I write stuff on the wiki page, if others dont like it (or can make it
better) they do. They also write on my user talk page; i, intern
respond.

Everything that im planning gets talked about on the page; if someone
wants to take over, they certainly can. It would just mean that work
gets done faster.

An exit strategy?
Nope, there is none. This project is never complete. New
buildings/parks lands always change.
Eventually openstreetmap will be technically more accurate than Google
maps. In many cities it is.
Eventually it will be more accurate than Government maps. (but that
might take a bit longer)

I hope that covers most of it.

Happy Holidays,
Sam Vekemans