[Talk-ca] OSM GeoBase import project.

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Wed Dec 24 06:13:26 GMT 2008

Okay, I have a really silly question to ask...

Sam talks about "we" are working on this project, and "they" are doing
this or that, and an "us" occasionally, but is there an actual group
of people that are working towards making this import a reality?

I have seen posts from a few people that obviously have the skills and
knowledge necessary to take GeoBase data, and manipulate it into a
format that can then be imported into OSM. Are these people actively
working with each other, and perhaps others with other skills to bring
to the table somewhere in a dark office somewhere? Or perhaps is there
no progress being made towards completion of this task?

Sam has been very vocal about trying to get things pushed towards a
goal, but I'm not really sure what that goal is, or even if Sam knows
what the target is... I have to commend Sam on his tenacity, he's like
a Pit Bull with his jaws clamped onto his prize, and is shaking the
ever living out of it!

Obviously we do have issues about having to deal with merging existing
data with GeoBase data. As has been pointed out, this affects a small
portion of the data available.

What I see that needs to be done is:

Compile a list of datasets that are to be imported into OSM.
Create a set of attributes that need to be attached to each dataset entry.
Create scripts or whatever to convert the GeoBase data into OSM format.
Get after making the import happen.

There are lots of areas in Alberta that I am just itching to get after
importing data into, where all that exists currently is a blank slate.
If we had scripts or some other type of process that a dummy like
myself could use, I'd be filling my boots getting GeoBase data merged
into the OSM database. As long as the attributes imported are
consistent across the nation, we should all be able to work towards
the final goal, while still letting the smart cookies figure out the
finer details, and getting issues like merging into developed areas
dealt with. Why hold up the whole project because of a few minor
issues?

James
VE6SRV