[Talk-ca] GeoBase to OSM attribute mapping.

Michel Gilbert michcasa at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 14:28:17 GMT 2008

2008/12/26 Jason Reid <osm at bowvalleytechnologies.com>

> [...]
> > campsite, industrial estate, business park, etc.. This is also
> > commonly used for access to parking and trash collection. Sometimes
> > called an alley, particularly in the US.
> >
> > Local/unknown is currently mapped to highway:service. This should
> > probably be highway:road. where that is described as:
> >
> > Road with an unknown classification. This tag should be used
> > temporarily until the road has been properly surveyed. Once it is
> > surveyed the highway tag should be changed to record the appropriate
> > classification.
> >
> > Rapid Transit is currently mapped to highway:bus_guideway. I'm
> > thinking railway:light_rail, at least in Edmonton, our rapid transit
> > system is a light rail transit system. Perhaps other areas of Canada
> > have a rubber tire based guided transit system.
> >
> > When working on another GeoBase to public map project, I ended up
> > making Freeway and Expressway map to the same road type, with Highway
> > mapped to the next lower level.
> >
> > There's no mapping to highway:trunk. I'd have to dig into the NRN
> > deeper to look at sample roads and tags again, but I think our top
> > level roads would map to highway:motorway. This would include such
> > entities as the Queen Elizabeth II Highway (#2) between Edmonton and
> > Calgary, although in some areas the restricted access limits don't
> > quite apply.
> >
> > In Alberta, we haven't tagged anything as highway:motorway. Our top
> > level tag is highway:trunk. This GeoBase/OSM project could work to
> > unify the tagging across the country!
> >
> > What about Freeway -> highway:motorway, Expressway -> highway:trunk,
> > Highway -> highway:primary?
> >
> > James
> > VE6SRV

> The prototype import script
> (http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/utils/import/geobase2osm/)
> was built using the following:
>

> However, there are corrections made to this, mostly to align things with
> what each province classifies the roads as (a classification that
> doesn't map directly to geobase as each province has its own). This is
> to accomplish getting certain things to be correct. For instance, when I
> last looked at the geobase data there were some highways that were
> primary in one province, but crossed the border and were a secondary
> highway in the other. But geobase used the same classification level on
> both sides. Each province has a set of guidelines as to which number
> groups mean what, which maps closer to the OSM based guidelines then how
> Geobase maps the data IMO. Then there are also considerations for things
> like the NHS highways, which are laid out on the Canadian Tagging
> Guidelines
> (
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Canadian_tagging_guidelines#Highway_Tags
> )
>
> Personally I can't see any real way to do the import without taking the
> differences between the provinces into account.

I think homogeneous tags are very important within OSM. Therefore we should
make everything possible to map Geobase road classification Canada wide.
Geobase road classification as described in their Feature
Catalogue<http://www.geobase.ca/doc/specs/pdf/GeoBase_FeatureCatalogue_SegmentedView_NRN_2_0_EN.pdf>
is a result of Provinces and Territories consensus. So the mapping between
Geobase ans OSM should be one to one.

My proposed tags:

freeway       motorway
expressway   primary