[Talk-ca] SOTM 2008: The State of The (Canada) Map

Gerald A geraldablists at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 15:52:59 BST 2008

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 9:58 PM, James Ewen <jewen at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Here's the problem, more people need to step up to the plate and add a
> little more. Many hands make light work. We need to work on spreading
> the word about OSM, and get more people interested in the project and
> working on the map.

While I agree with this in principal, it's harder to action in practice.
While I mention and promote OSM when I can, it would be easier with funding
and an organization.  Even something informal, to offset printing costs
could be helpful.

With the large expanse of area that is Canada, the chances of walking
> or cycling all of the roads are minimal. With the ever increasing cost
> of fuel, the chances of driving all roads to gather gps data is
> getting slimmer. More high resolution imagery from Yahoo would allow
> more mapping without having to drive the roads. Getting Google to
> allow use of the imagery found on GoogleEarth would help also.

While this kind of mapping lays the foundation, without someone to visit the
roads and then label the yahoo derived drawn maps, it helps but doesn't
really provide useful information.

I'm not sure we can ever get away from boots on the ground to do effective
mapping, in the long run. We might be able to get some foundation data from
government to prime the pump (like AND in Europe or Tiger in the US), but
our strength is being able to keep up with changes on the ground in a more
agile fashion. In a perfect world, we'd get map companies aggregating data
with us to save the earth and reduce fuel costs. I have my doubts, but we
can hope.

The long term solution is to build as much as we can, and make it easy for
people to add and make use of the maps, and then let people know about it.
Gerald