[Talk-ca] OSM Wiki Tagging Recreational Trails In Canada

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 09:06:04 BST 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 8:26 AM,  <simon at mungewell.org> wrote:
>> Another note:  Could I add on the goals section, a goal to make a complete
>> on-demand free OSM book of Canada, where some publisher can print it from
>> automatically updated PDF files. .??  (i figure that one, is needed as
>> although technology is wonderful, its not always reliable.. and you do
>> need
>> a backup map book) .. thoughts on that?
>>

> Apart from the getting it printed, there is the task of producing the
> content and laying it out. Our tech-pub people at work give the impression
> that that's the hard part (maybe that's just them.... ;-).
>
> I would suggest that you find a couple of publisher types and get them
> interested, before undertaking such a huge task.
>
> Simon.

There is a barebones perl-based tool to create PDF atlases, but it
doesn't do the hard bits, like creating an atlas. However, working on
that some would open up a new way for people to enjoy OSM mapping.

Beyond using that tool, you could use osmarender, spit out an SVG and
then maybe divide it up using Scribus. I have no idea if Scribus can
even do that, but it is a thought.

Corey