[Talk-ca] Garmin Maps made from OSM listed on MapCenter2

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 05:31:01 BST 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 4:05 PM, Sam Vekemans
<acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I noticed that Montreal seems to be the only city in Canada which has a
> garmin map of the city posted to http://Mapcenter2.cgpsmapper.com with a
> source reference to OSM.
>
> I am wondering who uploaded this file, and also if we can have a list
> growing of all the cities which other people are working on, to have those
> maps made into a downloadable garmin map. .. so then this way (unfortunatly
> mapcenter is not wiki, so others cant add on maps to an existing mapset) so
> its the person who uploaded it would be responsable to update this map for
> everyone to download.
> Or maybe someone out there knows how todo it easily? ..
>
> Seing as how this is the final product, showing this map on the garmin .. ..
> there is no sence on having more than 1 person doing the compiling for the
> same area.
>
> .. and perhaps this (compiled from OSM), garmin map can be made available on
> eaach cities page? .. and the overall list can be shown on the main Canada
> page?

Cloudmade is creating .img files for the whole world. The canada one
can be found at:
http://downloads.cloudmade.com/north_america/canada

I am suspicious of the package size, so I am about to load it on my gps.

Of course, it would be nicer to get some smaller stuff for individual
cities. It probably wouldn't be that hard to pull a rectange out of
OSM each day and build .img files automatically. I recently purchased
mappingfreedom.ca so I might do that when I get the time/bandwidth.

Corey