[Talk-ca] TCT tagging

simon at mungewell.org simon at mungewell.org
Wed Jun 18 16:19:09 BST 2008

Hi

> my guess is that taging the TCT section of existing trails should be
> 'Trans Canada Trail - Sea side Touring Route', 'Trans Canada Trail -
> Galloping Goose, then connects to 'Trans Canada Trail - Malahat'

> Im still waiting to hear back from head office and i'll ask if the is an
> official designation format.

> As we cant really connect the trails, as the surface changes.
> I think what i'll be asking people todo, is to go out and physically post
> their local section of the trail, as well as their route to and from the
> trail.

When you say 'the surface changes' do you mean that the 'official' route
takes a different set of roads/trails to get from east to west coast?

I think that this is a job for relations. Map the underlying
road/tracks/trails as normal ways, and create a relation_route for the
route. If the route is changing yearly it might be more appropriate to
make a new route for every year (ie. name='trans_canada_2008'), that way
the older routes can be rendered/repeated by people interested in them.

As to local connects, surely just mapping appropriate ways without
TransCanada tagging is sufficient.

As an example I have created a few tourist/scenic drive routes in Alberta
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Canada:Alberta#Tourist.2FScenic_Trails

> And also to be placing markers on their route which would be helpful to
> users of the map, as well as when it gets converted to IMG files for use
> with gps. Once users download my map, they just follow the TCT icons.

Use 'stops' within the relation_route. These are (hopefully) going to be
rendered appropriately.

Cheers,
Simon.