[Talk-ca] "Trunk" tagging

Jason Reid osm at bowvalleytechnologies.com
Thu Mar 13 19:31:28 GMT 2008

Blake Crosby wrote:
> Hello,
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Canadian_tagging_guidelines
>
> States that the highway=trunk should be used in all highways that are
> controlled by the national highway service.
>
> I have noticed that a lot of highways in Ontario (and probably the rest
> of the country) are tagged highway=motorway instead of highway=trunk. Is
> it safe to assume that these are tagged in error and should be fixed?
>
> This includes 401 from Windsor to Quebec border, the QEW, highway 11 to
> north bay, etc..
>
> (A list of the roads maintained by the NHS is listed on page 37 of the
> referenced pdf at the url above)
>
> Blake

The tagging guidelines have one addendum to the NHS rule for motorways:

"Restricted-access, divided highways with two or more lanes in each
direction, e.g. Highway 401 in Ontario, Autoroute 20 in Quebec, Gardiner
Expressway in Toronto, Ontario."

Generally Ontario and Quebec are the only places that motorways may be,
there are no highways in Alberta that meet the standard for instance.
There are a number of ways in Saskatchewan that are mis-tagged currently
that need to be fixed, but I believe that most of the Ontario ones are
probably correct (I've never actually been to Ontario so I'll leave that
to the people who know those highways best).

 Jason Reid
 Web Technical Administrator
 Faculty of Social Sciences

 Social Sciences 555