[Talk-ca] Tagging of Street names.

Jason Reid osm at bowvalleytechnologies.com
Mon Mar 31 17:32:05 BST 2008

simon at mungewell.org wrote:
> Hi all,
> Since this a North American thing I thought I'd ask here what we Canadians
> would prefer to do with tagging street names.
>
> Should it be:
> 51st Street North-East
> 51st Street NE
> 51st St NE
> 51 St NE
> 51 St (Direction=North-East)
> 51 St (Direction=NE)
> ... or any other varient
>
> Personally I prefer '51 ST NE' as it's the shortest/simplest form, but I
> have seen it written multiple ways.
>
> If it really doesn't matter, can we get confirmation what abreviations the
> street finder works with.
> Mungewell.

I've been trying to stick with the full version of the names, including
the direction abbreviation if its actually in the name (which for
Calgary it should be, not all towns/cities use a quadrant system though).

My main justification for using the full name is due in part to how
Calgary for instance has little consistency between using short and full
on signs, and far too many similar abbreviations. At last count there
are 44 different street 'types' in use in the city, most confusingly
there are now 5 that start with 'pa' (path, passage, park, parkway and
parade) so using just 2 character abbreviations that may or may not
actually be on a sign on the ground doesn't work well.

 Jason Reid
 Web Technical Administrator
 Faculty of Social Sciences

 Social Sciences 515