[Talk-ca] Geobase import idea render=no

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 04:54:30 GMT 2008

Hi,
after letting the idea spin in my head a while, here's what i got.

Import everything from geobase, and just add the 'render=no' tag.
Here's why.
1 we already know that all we need todo is select the group of areas,
ways &points that we see are not in conflect with anything else, and
select the tag, and change it to 'render=yes' so a whole bunch of
stuff can be released for rendering.
2 when new data is available, it can simply check to see if the tag
exists, can check if  it needs updating, and update it, but not be
rendered.
3 it wont be a problem as since its not rendered, it will only show
when a user sees that the rendered version needs to be fixed, when
someone is actually there.
4 in the case where geobase is 'wrong' instead of 'incomplete' the
'wrong version would stay and exist in the database, until physially
removed, so the next 'dump of data would show it better.
5 would it be possable to have data over top of eachother where the
rendered version was combined? Yes, but it wouldnt make a difference
as the latest data dump wont be rendered.
So heres are challenge, if we can import this all, and prove to the
community that this is the best map available, more and more companies
will be using this as the best available data. Then local government
would see the merrit of contributing, rather than reinventing the
wheel.
Looking forward to feedback,