[Talk-ca] Hello from the Yukon

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Thu Nov 27 17:12:56 GMT 2008

Greetings Everyone,

My name is Matt Wilkie and I work for the Yukon Government, Department
of Environment, and have a little familiarity with Geobase data. At
least as it pertains to my region. Sam Vekhemans scrounged me up and
invited me to participate  in the discussion of importing Geobase data
into Open Streetmap, probably because I've posted some scripts for mass
download and merging of geoabase data*.

As I told Sam, I'm willing to devote some time to helping with this
project as it's a good cause. From the announcement it looks like you
already have the enthusiastic support from Geobase itself so I don't
know that I'll have much new to contribute. Nevertheless I'm free with
my opinions anyway. ;-)

I guess my first question is, how much of the geobase data are you
interested in? There are a lot of different layers available and they
will likely each need their own approach.

I only have a passing familiarity with OSM and the Geobase_Import
sub-project. What kind of help are you looking for?

* http://code.google.com/p/maphew/source/browse/#svn/trunk/gis/geobase

best regards,

--
matt wilkie