[Talk-ca] Importing geobase data, learning from everyone

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 19:20:10 GMT 2008

Cool,
I take it a bit deeper.
What about if we treat the imported data, just as any other. Just be
happens to be the biggest 'new kid on the block', we shouldnt give it
special privilages. If I move, switch and transform the new data, the
new kids numbering system will get messed up. (and the new kid doesnt
'own' the block, all data was volunteerly submited -no strings.)
So heres what we do (i think jasons script does it?) it brings in the
geobase data, with its own name road type, gets changed to suite OSM
standard, checks to see if parralel/similar lines are close, -makes a
list of everything that was regected.. And importing everything else.
(aside: What about converting rejected data to 'highway=road'?)
when new geobase data is available, the script would be the same, only
look at the road name and road class in close proximity, and add whats
missing.

And starting with the province that has the most detailed data (the
chart is on the geobase site) -1 tile at a time, we all can help and
would avoid mess :)

Hows that?