[Talk-ca] Fixing Albertan Places

Simon Wood simon at mungewell.org
Wed Sep 24 03:31:04 BST 2008

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 20:01:40 -0600
jewen at shaw.ca wrote:

> Just what we are talking about, but missing a little information.

Very interesting...

> Similarly, Fort McMurray should have a dot representative of the
> 50,000 inhabitants. The RM of Wood Buffalo is a large chunk of land,
> and drawing an outline around it, and trying to say this is the
> Specialized Municipality of Wood Buffalo is not representative of the
> area.

I'll do some investigation to see if 'common names' are rendered in preference to 'name'. This might prove a solution.

> Well, I drew the city limits of Edmonton many months ago, as well as
> the outline of Strathcona County, and Sherwood Park's urban service
> area. They never get rendered.

They might appear on the slippy map, but they may be being used elsewhere such as GPS maps, etc.

> There needs to be a way to designate zoom levels. If you zoom out on
> Edmonton, the label disappears behind Stony Plain or Spruce Grove, if
> I recall correctly. Edmonton has 600,000 people in it, Spruce Grove is
> about 40,000 I think. You have to zoom in pretty close before you can
> find the capital of Alberta on the map.

The other 1/2 of the import stuff I'm looking at is to put the census information in
---
edmonton,city,16-may-06,730372
---

If this were to be used by the renders it would sort out the layering of adjancent Cities/Towns.

Cheers,
Simon.