[Talk-ca] Canadian Mapping Lanes Guidelines

Adam Dunn dunnadam at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 20:59:11 GMT 2009

There is an issue that I noticed in the Canadian mapping guidelines
recently, though it appears it has been on the wiki for a while now. Reading
the guidelines for the "lanes" key [1] and comparing it to the Canada
mapping guidelines [2], it looks like the Canada mapping guidelines is
suggesting the wrong usage for "lanes". In the general guidelines it states
"[t]he lanes key can be used to mark the physical amount of travel lanes on
a way", while the Canadian guideline says "[h]ighways with two lanes in each
direction should be tagged as lanes=2. If there is no lanes tag, the
assumption is 1".
By my reading of [1], if there are two lanes in each direction of an
undivided highway (single carriageway) that would be four travel lanes on
the highway and should be marked as 4, according to general OSM standards,
and not 2 (per Canadian OSM). If there are two lanes in each direction of a
divided highway (dual carriageway), then there should be two highway ways,
each with lanes=2 and oneway=yes. I think this is where the confusion came
from when the Canadian mapping guidelines page was created. The British
Columbia, Manitoba and Saskatchewan pages all get this wrong, the Alberta
page gets it correct, and the other provinces/territories don't even mention
it.
Am I mistaken in the reading of either of these pages, or should the
Canadian/BC/Man/Sask guidelines be changed?
P.S. All the NRN data I've imported agrees with [1], so the import is all
fine - no worries.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:lanes
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Canadian_tagging_guidelines

Adam