[Talk-ca] Stats-Can licensing

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 21:29:15 GMT 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 14:26 -0500, Richard Degelder wrote:
>> With the license for Stats-Can we are not going to be able to use any of
>> their data.  Although OSM is non-commercial there is no way we can
>> ensure that any future user will always be non-commercial as well.
>
> Dear Richard,
>
> From your comment above, I presume that you are seeing a
> "non-commercial" requirement in the StatsCan license.  From the link Sam
> posted recently[1], I do not see any such limitation.  Section 3.0
> License grant includes the text, "grants to the Licensee ... right and
> license .. to sell ... licensed Derived Products"
>
> The terms require that the source be acknowledged, and that the
> inclusion of the data not be seen as an endorsement of the product by
> Statistics Canada.
>
> This seems agreeable to cc-by-sa based on my quick reading of it.
>
> Are you looking at a different license?  Link?

The 2007 Road Network data appears to be compatible with OSM as
Richard Weait suggests on this link:

http://geodepot.statcan.ca/2006/Reference/Freepub/92-500-GWE/2007001/agreement.htm

However, as Richard Degelder points out, another page that appears to
talk about the same data has a non-commercial stipulation:

http://geodepot.statcan.ca/2006/Reference/Freepub/92-500-GWE/2008001/info-en.htm

Both pages have a modified date of 2008-12-22... Which one do you believe?

James
VE6SRV