[Talk-ca] GeoBase import woes...

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 23 06:23:39 GMT 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 10:46 PM, James Ewen <jewen at shaw.ca> wrote:

> I know one thing for sure... I'm going to beat the data around Fort
> McMurray to death before I'm finished with it.

More beating has ensued...

> I'm thinking that perhaps a little from column A, and a little from
> column B might be the best bet.
>
> I'm wondering if I should upload GeoBase ways on top of the GPS traced
> ways, copy the attributes over, and align/stitch, then remove the
> GeoBase way. I would also need to cut the GS traced ways into sections
> that mimic the GeoBase ways.

So, I sampled the buffet... I took my GPX traced way, cut it up into
sections that matched up with the GeoBase ways. I then copied all the
attributes from each GeoBase way over to my equivalent ways, and
finally deleted the GeoBase way. What I ended up with, was a well
defined way that describes a roadway that is nearly identical to what
GeoBase had described.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=56.7698&lon=-111.6585&zoom=12&layers=B000FTF

I think the end result looks like what we would end up with if I had
taken the original GeoBase ways, and edited and modified it to
represent what I consider to be a better representation of the road.
There are obvious deviations and node position errors evident in the
GeoBase data that are readily apparent to anyone who has driven down
this road.

There's lots of work to do... I'm thinking that this is probably going
to be my main mode of making changes to OSM way in the future. Track
and upload overtop of the GeoBase information, clean up the import,
stitch to existing data, copy the attributes over, and then delete the
GeoBase way.

James
VE6SRV