[Talk-ca] CanVec data area

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 22:45:36 BST 2009

Hi, cc'd talk-ca also,

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 8:08 AM, Michael Barabanov <
michael.barabanov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Sam,
>
> > I have the CanVec data area.
> >
> http://sites.google.com/a/acrosscanadatrails.com/www/Home/canvec2osm0_40092g07portmoody.zip
>
> Thanks, I'll examine it. Which version of canvec2osm did you use to
> produce it? I should try it too.

No need, it's still buggy... the lastest is beta0.49  (the Google Doc's
reference is available)
.... on the other hand, when looking at the area again (after 6 months) it's
handy to run the script based on the latest canvec data.   In April the
canvec data got updated.

> > The 1 file is all the features merged accept waterbody and wooded area.
>
> Actually, one thing I'd really like to have on the map is exactly
> waterbody/stream stuff:)

Thats the file HD_1480009_2waterbody_GeoBase
and HD_1470009_1single_line_watercourse_GeoBase
However, you'll notice that HD_1460009_2hydrographic_obstacle_entity_GeoBase
covers the same area as water, but it gets shown as 'reef'  which is
probably better.
Im starting to thing i should omit the HD_1480009_2waterbody_GeoBase and
have it in the extra folder, because of this overlap   (see Ucluelet sample
area)

> > Let me know if it works, i wont be dealing with that area until 092c is
> done. (following the trail of GeoBase imported stuff)
> >
> > Oh ya, you should get in touch with Corey Burger, as he's trying to
> figure out how to use geobase2osm, perhaps you can gelp? as it looks like
> you figured it out and wrote an article about it.
>
> Perhaps ask him to send me questions, then - can do it on talk-ca, too.
> Yes, I put some notes on that wiki page, as there were definitely gaps
> in the process description.

Yes, we should have a mapping party to cover those details soon.  In person
is ALOT easier to explain whats going on.

> Michael.

Cheers,
Sam Vekemans
Across Canada Trails