[Talk-ca] ACQTECH vs. Valdate vs. OSM User imput for CanVec HD

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 18:58:53 GMT 2009

> About the waterways - I think many of the waterways (smaller ones) were
> just traces of aerial imagery onto the topo maps.  Waterways are too much of
> a pain to do by GPS on such a large scale so I couldn't see them being too
> accurate, unless you get a municipality's watershed layers which I've found
> to be very accurate and detailed, but those aren't available to the public
> or under the CC so it doesn't matter anyways.  For all we know the federal
> data could have been aerial-->paper topo-->digitized, meaning it could be
> very innacurate.  I don't know what the metadata says since I'm at work and
> can't (shouldn't) access it, so I don't know if it says in there what the
> source is.  I think a user who knows the area should be the one who decides
> what should happen to the waterway or at least compare the bot loaded data
> with the aerial imagery that's already available to decide which is nearest
> to the actual location.
>
> -Kevin (Kevo)

Cool, Yup, the provider for this particular data feature (single line
watercourse) is "Federal" and vector, & 19 meters off.

So judging by the flickr photos of the area, i see that in fact the waterway
is a "stream" rather than a "river".  So i think i will make "stream" the
default for the non-isolated watercourse's.  (although in the spring after a
heavy snow winter, that creek could be a river) :-)

Also, now we have 2 separate people who have been on that roadway as well as
will get more GPS Traces on the way.  Cool :-)

Do you have an area that you'd like to see as a sample?

Cheers,
Sam Vekemans
Across Canada Trails