[Talk-ca] Next road import area

Jonathan Stewart jonathan.stewart at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 05:17:01 GMT 2009

Oh Wow.  Sam, this is great.

I am just exploring all the data you gave me, which is tons.  I love
all the hydrological data.  The amenities are pretty amazing, too.  I
just found shapes, too!  Like, shapes of buildings.  Not the best
quality of data (even official sources are made by humans, right? ;)
but it's still pretty good.  The buildings seem to be offset south by
about 5 or 10 metres, but they are certainly there, and accurate
overall.

I overlaid the OSM data on the NRN road data that was also there.
Very very close match, thought OSM data is better in many cases.  My
real GPS traces are more accurate than the official map, which seems
good to me. ;)

I am still exploring, but overall, this is really great stuff.  Allows
me to skip the conversion step, and go right to mapping using JOSM,
which is fairly easy, even for new users.

How do you envision the data import?  Manual tracing and labelling
using JOSM?  I did just add a building to OSM based on the CanVec
data, by just tracing, which works well.  Very manual, but then you
have the sanity check of a human operator adding the data, not an
automated script which can create corrupted data, like is an issue in
Alberta right now.

That's my thoughts so far.  Big thumbs up!

Jonthan

--
     Jonathan