[Talk-ca] Quality of Alberta + Next road import area

Jean-Sébastien Moreau Jean-Sebastien.Moreau at USherbrooke.ca
Thu Mar 26 14:31:45 GMT 2009

Hi,

> This is expected and was discussed back in December and again after the
> initial Fort McMurray import.  The imported ways don't connect to the
> existing ones.  This seemed to be favoured over deleting existing data.

I respect that choice but if we choose to go that way, than each import action
should be followed by a manual validation that include connecting the OSM ways
to geobase.

> Do you have any ideas on a method that can be used to connect the existing
> wasy to the imported ones, or even better an implementation?

As Michel mentionned, I did use an FME script to match geobase with OSM for the
Sherbrooke area (021E05 and 031H08). The result was quite good altought a few
manual correction were necessary.

http://www.openstreetmap.com/?lat=45.375&lon=-71.992&zoom=11&layers=B000FTF

 I could somehow publish the script if some of you want to use it. FME is a
closed source program but it allows precise manipulation of the features that
speeds up the developpement of complex geospatial processing. That’s why I use
it.

The import in Sherbrooke was a pre-step for our mapping party planned for
mid-may.
We agreed on the following steps:
-	Import the geobase ways and conflate with existing OSM (that was my job)
-	Flag the places that need to be corrected using openstreetbug
Two people are working on this.

During the party, those places will get fixed. People will do some field
validation for the bugs that could not be corrected remotely.

A similar approach could be use to fix Alberta. Some people could just fill the
bugs in openstreetbug an others would correct them.

We have to find a way to do the import correctly althought it could slow down
the import process. As we move forward, people will certainly come up with new
tools and techniques that will speed up the process. I think its better having
a pace that we can handle.

Jean-Sebastien