[Talk-ca] Merging OSM + Geobase (summary)

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 19:47:53 BST 2009

2009/3/30 Jean-Sébastien Moreau <Jean-Sebastien.Moreau at usherbrooke.ca>:

> There were also some exchanges about quality of osm versus geobase for the road
> network (James and William). It seems that this is not uniform for the entire
> canadian landmass.

There may be some lack of uniformity across the dataset, but there
could also be a lack of uniformity across the user expectation level
as well.

Some of the first pass OSM highways in Alberta were VERY crude. In
comparison, GeoBase data looks really good. However, I have laid down
some pretty detailed GPS tracks that make the GeoBase data look kind
of crude.

One case in point was a circular route in Ft. McMurray that described
a roadway called Belgian Green.

I used 21 nodes to describe it from a GPS track. I think GeoBase used
about 10 or so. Even my 21 node track is pretty crude.

GeoBase also like to show intersecting dual carriageways as all
intersecting at a single point. (Can't find one right now...)

It's really a preference more than a "be all end all" thing, but I
think that we as an OSM community using just consumer grade equipment
have the ability to enhance the detail shown in the GeoBase data that
I have seen so far.

James
VE6SRV