[Talk-ca] CanVec-to-osm v0.9.5 now cooler than before

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 06:51:54 BST 2009

Hi all,
i'm processing select areas on request, the script now basically
downloads/unzips/converts/adds source details/zips 16 canvec tiles in
1 key stroke :)

The biggest thing to note is that these files will be in constant
upgrade & revision mode, as the source files change every 6 months.
But fortunately, its at the point now that you can copy in what ever
features you want. (future changes will be 'relatevely' minor)
I'll just make suggestions on what additional things need to be done
(outlined in the readme.txt file) ... Which still needs some fixing up
:)

geobaseNHN-to-osm v0.3.4.0 updates:

-River Names, because this might be added to canvec later on, its
still best to use geobaseNHN data
-for the ISLANDS polygons, you'll need to reverse the direction of the
ways, to counter-clockwise, alternatively, we could simply omit the
natural=coastline tag and just have place=island.
Because the 'wooded_area' file often is on those islands, it would
still be rendered.
-extra nodes.... the JOSM validator plugin would help, as it would
spot where thesea extra nodes are lurking, and be zapped. :)
-the 'extra' folder, i think it needs to be fixed up a little more, as
some features should be available as a full file.

Although, like all features, as long as the physical geometry is in
place, a 'CanBot' can be made to run over the country and make
changes. As we see the need. ... so it isn't really THAT necessary to
be too picky about the 'correct' tags.  (BTW, argh!  thats why i keep
the canvec:CODE tag,  so it can be found-replaced) :-)

Anyway, i already know who the main people are for areas... so this
week im converting those areas.... and trying to get feedback :)

thats all for now,
Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blog:  http://Acrosscanadatrails.blogspot.com
OpenStreetMap IRC: http://irc.openstreetmap.org