[Talk-ca] CanVec-to-osm v0.9.5 now cooler than before

James A. Treacy treacy at debian.org
Wed Oct 21 13:23:30 BST 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 10:51:54PM -0700, Sam Vekemans wrote:
> Hi all,
> i'm processing select areas on request, the script now basically
> downloads/unzips/converts/adds source details/zips 16 canvec tiles in
> 1 key stroke :)

This is great news.

Before people go rushing to import the data, I hope that they will
give roads some consideration. Living in southwest Ontario I have been
focusing on mapping that area, starting in Kitchener-Waterloo. It
appears that in most areas the geobase roads were imported wholesale.
Little thought was put into checking the data, leading to many missing
roads and a lot of really bad roads being left in (often off by more
than 50m). Not even the JOSM validator was run on the data.

How does this relate to the import of canvec data? Checking roads is a
lot harder as the maps become filled with other data.

So please check the roads before adding other data.

--
James Treacy
treacy at debian.org