[Talk-ca] water, woods and junkyards, Ontario Canvec test

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 20:15:43 BST 2009

Hi Richard,

CanVec2osm v0.9 will be available soon (in the next 2  weeks). It will be
able to handle 16 tiles in 1 run through, creating a folder for each.  x01
to x16.
Each .osm file will be available to view in .josm separatly.  (by canvec
entity CODE #).

Most of those un-needed tags are not converted in the rules.txt script.

It looks like you only added 2 tags

   - *source*: CanVec_Import_2009
   - *canvec:UUID*: 3c5614b61f404653944e3f0797c992d6

I did not import the 'uuid' because this is a 1-way import.  (thus, so slow
in making sure the canvec2osm script is correct) as when others draw in
rivers, they are treated exactly the same).  And for updates, OpenJUMP
AutoMATCH can be used to compare and look at 'ways' which are similar.

I dont import the rivers because it doesn't include the name=tags, and the
GeoBaseNHN data organizes the rivers into water 'basens' and therefore
organized differently than the orderly NTS tiles.  BUT on the geobaseNHN
website, you can still see where this NTS tile is.
Yan in Quebec is working on the geoabaseNHN rivers and doing a great job so
far, with a slightly modified version of the script i made (suitable for
python).

 So i do appologize Richard, that you gone through so much trouble, and not
aware of what my scatter-brain is doing,   .... fortunately for everyone on
the talk-ca list, my attention now is on getting the canvec2osm script
perfect, and making the .osm zip files available.

Im just focusing on the island, while making these BETA version uploads, so
i only mess up stuff in the 092 area (where i know i can manually fix).
Once everyone is happy about the way that the conversion works, then i'll
run the script for other areas, and others can feel free to run the script.

Anyway, it's getting late, I have updated the Canada Import Status chart
with your progress, so feel free to upload whatever you like for the 040P 16
tile area, and if you start working on others, (if you insist on not using
the GoogleDocs chart, perhaps an idea is that you stick with a 'range' 'area
(adjacent tiles) so that way we know that "in this big rectangle area you
imported data".   That way, everyone knows the progress.

Anyway, im updating the canvec2osm bat file with the latest im working on
(if you run the script as it, it WILL NOT WORK) as it's not reliesed yet.
(v0.9)

Cheers,
And apologies to Richard, for not adding you to the list of collaborators (i
thought you were in there already, sorry).

Sam

(i'll have a better update on the weekend) (and spell check)

Twitter: @Acrosscanada