[Talk-ca] water, woods and junkyards, Ontario Canvec test

James A. Treacy treacy at debian.org
Mon Sep 7 20:35:43 BST 2009

On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 01:48:46PM -0400, Richard Weait wrote:
> Hi Talk-ca-ers,
>
> I've been importing some of the Canvec thematic data in Ontario to get
> a feel for the data and tools.  I've created a Canvec status page [1]
> on the wiki so others can follow along or join in.  I've chosen only
> some of the thematic data for my tests, including water / riviers,
> streams, marsh / wetlands and woods plus a few others.

I live in Kitchener, so have been watching Richard's improvements as
I make my own edits. Very nice.

One minor nit (in general, not about Richard's work): Having the
canvec data is very nice but it can be rather tedious tracking down
all the unconnected roads (there are a LOT of them). I hope future
improvements in the import process will reduce the number of these.

> The results of the import / upload are imperfect.  Some material
> duplicates the work of individual mappers though not as often as with
> roads.  Some data is out of date.  One mapper has already reported
> that an imported railway was removed from reality some time ago.  I've
> seen an area that reports ponds where I believe there are houses now.

I am the one who reported the railway which no longer exists. What is
the best way to deal with this? It shouldn't be removed outright as that
will just cause pain at the time of the next import. I am hoping that
removing the 'railway: rail' tag will do the trick - the (old) rail will
will still be in the database but it wouldn't be rendered. In particular
it is hoped that the existance of a matching canvec:UUID will cause the
next import to not import the object. Is this correct?

--
James Treacy
treacy at debian.org