[Talk-ca] canvec2osm v0.9.1 sample areas ready

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon Sep 21 13:59:06 BST 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 8:13 AM, Sam Vekemans
<acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm happy to report that all there are now a bunch of areas available to
> load and copy over to OSM ... and check for errors.

Just having a look at Sam's converted files for 092o06 (Anvil Mountain)

I see an issue that I spotted in my own converted files last night.  I
plan look further at the details later today but your help earlier is
welcome.

To see the symptoms:

- load the six wooded area files into josm.
- select wooded-0 as the active layer
- select all object on the layer
- zoom in to the four selected areas, just west of the mid-point of the tile

What I see:

I see four 'inner' ways selected, but not their two respective 'outer' ways.

What I expected to see:

I expected all members ways of the same relation to be in the same layer.

josm 1788 (old) does not throw an error for this.  Newer josm throws a
warning "relation with no outer way" IIRC.

I fear that this error breaks relations in a way that requires them to
be manually reconstructed (if they are accepted by the API)

I do not yet know if this behaviour is a function of the canvec rules
files, or of shp-to-osm --maxnodes.
Your thoughts?

Additionally, in my converted files last night, I found that the
combined wooded areas from a recent conversion did not include all of
the data that was converted with older tools (shp-to-osm 0.2?  and
canvec rules 0.22?)  I need to look into this further and will report
back.

Best regards,
Richard