[Talk-ca] Ontario NRN dataset with Street Names, Place Names and Address Ranges

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 20:07:06 BST 2009

Hi all,

It looks like the GeoBase site was updated on the weekend,
and it lists how Ontario now has roadnames available.
http://www.geobase.ca/geobase/en/news/2009/nrn-on.html

BTW, my update from Land Information ontario (direct) is that i do have
access to all of the 20 datasets that are available.  However, considering
that most of the data available from LIO is available on CanVec, it would
make sense that i continue working with converting this canvec data, then
when we start to look for updates, we can go direct to the source.   For
example, LIO produces DIFF files for the changes in the data as new
information become available, .  I think GeoBase does also, but perhaps in a
different way.

Anyway, what does that mean to us?
Well, it's exciting news for starters :)  And also more work for fun.

.. using the 3 step import process (from my last message).   We make these
files available on a server.  Then we can compare.
But basically, (after chatting with Steve Singer) we decided, that it makes
no sense to be trying to convert provinces that have no road names.  As
that's just lines drawn on a page.   I think we can hold off on getting that
data, ... i mean you can convert it if you like, but we just have todo a
OpenJUMP automatch and remove the nonamed roads in favour of the named roads
as they are available.

Does anyone remember where it shows a listing of what provinces have
roadnames what has roads numbers?  I can add that info on the main chart.
(where i have the 'stats can roads' listed.

Oh ya,
http://www.geobase.ca/geobase/en/news/index.html
It looks like this year has been AWESOME for more updates of the GeoBase
Data, especially roadnames.  I think there pushing for those remaining
provinces to get the data available.   Hopefully it will be for 2010 :-)

And one last point.
I know the goal last year was for all of 2009 to take for getting the data
imported.  But i think that we can successfully get the 1st and second part
done this year.  That is, part 1, data conversion.  I think we can get all
the data converted to .osm format this year. and part 2, data sharing.  I
think we can get it all available on a server this year, (in the next 3
months).
So then for 2010, the project is for everyone to be helping out can claiming
there area, and copying in the data that is available.   And doing
conversion updates as new data is available, as as the conversion scripts
get updated.

Anyway, that's all for now.  I should get back to data-conversion and making
that Chart more useful for everyone :)
Cheers,
Sam Vekemans
Across Canada Trails