[Talk-ca] Ontario NRN dataset with Street Names, Place Names and Address Ranges

Frank Steggink steggink at steggink.org
Wed Sep 30 00:36:25 BST 2009

Sam Vekemans wrote:
> .. using the 3 step import process (from my last message).   We make
> these files available on a server.  Then we can compare.
> But basically, (after chatting with Steve Singer) we decided, that it
> makes no sense to be trying to convert provinces that have no road
> names.  As that's just lines drawn on a page.   I think we can hold
> off on getting that data, ... i mean you can convert it if you like,
> but we just have todo a OpenJUMP automatch and remove the nonamed
> roads in favour of the named roads as they are available.
>
> Does anyone remember where it shows a listing of what provinces have
> roadnames what has roads numbers?  I can add that info on the main
> chart. (where i have the 'stats can roads' listed.

Hi Sam,

Regarding provinces with roads without names: Quebec is one of them, and
already a good part has been imported. A good guess is about 40%, for
the inhabited southern parts. Are you really suggesting to stop the
import of the rest for now, because an update, containing road names,
might be available in the future? Who knows how much time that will
take. I for one am not willing to wait for that. If I'm correct, the
Quebec road data is from 2002 / 2005, so it is ancient, but nobody
guarantees there will be an update soon... (Maybe one of the NRCan guys
can comment on this?)

As is true for any addition in OSM, be it import of not, if data is
missing or incorrect, it can and will be corrected by others. I don't
think that would be different for Geobase data. In the Quebec City
region there is some guy who is already adding road names to data which
I imported a few weeks ago. Someone else is adding hiking trails /
landuse areas instead, because the roads of Quebec City itself are more
or less complete, already before I started the import. There is work
enough to do, and I think I will continue importing, and if I really get
enough of it, I'll just create some OSM files for the NTS sheets. :)

By the way, with the Geobase ID available, it shouldn't be hard to
identify the roads, and update the street names. And waiting for NRN
data with road names would still be no solution for roads coming from
other sources without names. For example, I left the existing roads, of
which many were added by myself. Those are predominantly the regional
highways, and often there were no street signs, let alone that I know
where one name ends and the next name should begin.

Frank