[Talk-ca] Fwd: GeoBase vs CanVec

Steve Singer ssinger_pg at sympatico.ca
Mon Aug 23 22:59:16 BST 2010

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010, john whelan wrote:

> The CANVEC tiles contain the full street name.  Ottawa has a number of
> streets that were imported from Geobase that did not include a street
> name, contained abbreviation or only part of the name.
>
> This maybe because of the way the import was done but the CANVEC data
> seemed cleaner in this regard.

The Ontario road network imported into OSM came from version 5 of the
GeoBase release (that was the newest version of the time).  v5 of the
Ontario geobase road network had no road names in Ontario.  When I did the
import I took the road names from the StatsCan data and matched them to the
Geobase road geometries.

The Canvec files Daniel is now producing I think include data from the v6
Geobase road network.  These do include road names (and presumably have
other updates).

Someone could probably write a script to go through the v6 geobase data and
update the matching OSM roads with the more up-to-date names and better
geometries, but I'm leaving that as an exercise to the reader.

Steve