[Talk-ca] Administrative boundaries of Québec

Yves Moisan yves.moisan at boreal-is.com
Fri Feb 5 19:40:27 GMT 2010

Le jeudi 04 février 2010 à 20:40 -0500, Frank Steggink a écrit :
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> Nicolas Gignac wrote:
> >
> > The contact I had in the government of Quebec have raised issues on
> > delivering up-to-date datasets in OSM, such as the Administrative
> > boundaries of Québec (BDGA).
> > Could someone help this person to understand quickly the advantage for
> > his organisation to share its data with the OSM community.
> >
> I'm not sure if there will be a direct advantage to his organization,
> but making this data publicly available would be hugely advantageous to
> the people of Quebec and others who have interest in it. In my opinion
> this is actually a public service.

Just the kind of comment I was waiting to plug this great blog post from
Paul Ramsey : http://blog.opengeo.org/2010/02/04/why-we-do-what-we-do/

It's about the free software tools the organization he's with makes
available to folks in general :

"These are all folks who have used the tools that our team members build
and maintain, to do good in the world. They don’t have to ask
permission, and they don’t have to pay us, and the world is a little
more understandable after they are finished than it was before. And
that’s the point."

That should be the spirit of *any* public or para-public service IMHO :
"These are all folks who have used the **data** that our team members
build and maintain ... "

Yves