[Talk-ca] PEI is the next coolest province (delayed reaction)

Robert Shand bob at shand.org.uk
Thu Feb 11 11:52:05 GMT 2010

Hello everyone,

I've been looking in the PEI address details lately.

In July 2009 Peter Rukavina contacted the provincial Government to enquire about the copyright status of the PEI civic address data and to see if they would be willing to open the data up for inclusion into OSM.  Unfortunately shortly after, and before a response was received there was a government reshuffle, and nothing further happened.

In October 2009 Michel Arsenault contacted Peter regarding the civic address data.  Michel tried contacting the government on several occasions via both email and telephone but unfortunately received no response.  Having not heard back from them Michel prepared the data, tagged the source for easy removal (just in case anyone contacted him about the copyright status) and uploaded the data.  Michel is now out of the country and effectively un-contactable until 2011.

Peter floated the idea to Michel about removing the current data and once again making more official lines of enquiry within government.  Michel acknowledged that this was fine, and that he'd considered this with the addition of suitable tags.

Finally I was investigating dupes ( using this http://www.opengeodata.org/2010/02/08/screencast-on-how-to-remove-duplicate-node-in-openstreetmap/ ) in PEI

http://matt.dev.openstreetmap.org/dupe_nodes/?zoom=9&lat=46.51269&lon=-63.22347&layers=BT

It appears that the majority of the dupe nodes in PEI are the civic address data that has been imported at least twice for Kings County.

Taking all of the above into account, I propose to the community that

1) Plenty of cool screenshots of the current OSM map are taken showing the civic address data
2) The current civic address data is removed due to i) the Dupe nodes and ii) the current unknown copyright status
3) We approach the government again for suitable licensing terms showing them before/after map shots taken from 1. Trying to prove to them the value of opening the data.

What does everyone else think?

Cheers

Bob