[Talk-ca] CanVec import

Bégin, Daniel Daniel.Begin at RNCan-NRCan.gc.ca
Tue Feb 9 20:30:43 GMT 2010

Bonjour à tous!

Over the last months, the Center for Topographic Information in Sherbrooke (CTIS) has run some tests to see how OSM data might be used to identify where our Canvec product needs udate. If not very detailled, the process is simple and the result useful where osm mappers are active and the area entirely mapped.

We can't do anything on mappers motivation ;-) but we can help to have an area entirely mapped through Canvec import.

Hence, we should offer to the community an .osm version of our Canvec Product ,soon after the next release - scheduled for May.  The .osm version should be compatible with the rules established by the community (tags, sub-tiling, ...)

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/CanVec_OSM_Map_Features <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/CanVec>

Furthermore, we should also provide the community with the differences identified by our change detection process after it has been run over an NTS tile.  It would enable osm mappers to check if the differences found are valid and should be included into the Osm database.  For example, add a Canvec road that was not in Osm yet;

The product will be available from the NRCan ftp file server that was already offered to the community for Canvec import.

More informations will be provided as the project evolve.

Note: I know that Frank is working to improve the canvec-to-osm conversion program and I had a look at some of his (very nice :-) preliminary results...

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=47.593&lon=-70.245&zoom=10&layers=B000FTF

I would suggest Frank keeps on improving the conversion program, if he wishes to! It would only be good for the community to have such a tool available.

Cheers

Daniel Bégin

Centre d'information topographique de Sherbrooke

Topographic Information Center of  Sherbrooke
Ressources Naturelles Canada / Natural Ressources Canada
2144, rue King Ouest, bureau 010
Sherbrooke (Québec) J1J 2E8
(819) 564-5600 ext.242, dbegin at NRCan.gc.ca