[Talk-ca] 031H05 and 031H12 Canvec Import

Frank Steggink steggink at steggink.org
Thu Feb 18 02:16:55 GMT 2010

Hi Daniel,

Please see blow.

Frank

Daniel Bégin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just let you know that I’ve completed Canvec Road and Building import
> in Montréal area (south shore, Montréal, Laval and north shore). It
> has been a very tedious work to integrate Canvec to existing Osm data.

I'm glad you completed it. Urban areas like Montreal are causing a lot
of trouble, because of the integration with existing data.

> Here are few comments (you probably know many of them but just in case…)
>
> I used Canvec_to_osm to convert data and JOSM for uploading
>
> - Canvec_to_osm creates duplicate nodes at road intersections. I was
> not able to automatically fix them using the latest JOSM (2561) and
> Validator plugging (18848) - If someone has an earlier version that
> works properly for duplicated nodes, there are still a lot of them to
> remove.
>
> - Canvec_to_osm associates tags to inner polygons, instead of outer
> polygon, for relations. All have been corrected (buildings)
>
> - JOSM had sometime problems when uploading, creating duplicates
> nodes/ways. All have been corrected

Regarding the Canvec_to_osm problems: did you use version 0.7.1 of
shp2osm.jar? Version 0.7.3 (already released last November) should solve
at least the tagging issue on multipolygon relations. I don't know about
the duplicate nodes at road intersections, since I've always
geobase2osm.py for the roads.

Regarding JOSM: if you use josm-latest.jar this should work. Yes, it is
said that it is unstable, but as you experience older versions (2561 is
already nearly three months old) have their own problem. Sometimes it
turns out that josm-latest doesn't work, so please keep around the
previous copy. (Once this happened with me when the plugin update dialog
appeared _behind_ the main screen at startup, so it wasn't accessible,
and I had to kill JOSM.)

A while after the release a nice feature was added, so it is possible to
upload changes in chunks. This works especially well for imports. After
each N features (say, 2500) the update is committed, and the next batch
begins. So, when an import gets aborted, not everything is lost.
However, you should make sure that everything is uploaded properly,
because when the import is aborted for some reason, JOSM doesn't know
that some changes are stored in the database, so you get duplicate
nodes. I wouldn't recommend to use the chunked upload for deletes,
because this can lead to conflicts. I'm not sure what the upload order
is of nodes, ways, and relations. In any case, JOSM should keep features
(nodes + ways + relations) together as much as possible.

> Most frequent problems encounter with existing data
>
> - Hundreds of street name abbreviations. All have been corrected
> (running on windows OS I must thanks notepad++ )
>
> - Dual carriage ways mapped as single line. All have been corrected -
> at least those present in Canvec dataset – keeping the original one
> and adding a parallel way with same attributes!
>
> - Usually no ramp/slipway mapped on streets. Almost all of them added
>
> - Usually no bridge tag used for viaduct. Almost all of them added
>
> - Features captured using Yahoo! Imagery doesn’t always fit
> corresponding GPS tracks (Compared to Canvec that usually does). Worst
> cases have been corrected through nodes displacement.
>
> - Highway categories (primary, secondary, and tertiary, residential …)
> were a bit messy. I’ve proposed a discussion on Montreal wiki page
> about that topic but no answer yet.

* How did you get the street names in the data? I still need to look
after that in the areas I uploaded.
* Ramp / slipway / bridges / viaducts: yes, I've added those myself too,
as well as the small service ways between highway lanes.
* Yahoo imagery has an offset sometimes.
* Highway categories are a tough subject. Partially this is due to the
fact that Canvec / Geobase has less categories than OSM: [motorway +
trunk], [primary + secondary] + [tertiary + unclassified] + residential.
And often roads are border cases, so it is not really clear what it
should be.