[Talk-ca] Transient roads

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sun Feb 21 06:24:09 GMT 2010

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 10:31 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, I know we talked about this before, but I can't find an answer
> in my old email.
>
> I'm mapping a road that only exists during the winter months. How do I
> tag it? Access is limited by season, but access tags seem to be aimed
> at who can access, rather than when.
>
> There are a couple references to winter roads in the BC, Alberta, and
> Manitoba wiki pages. Does anyone know of any examples of roads with
> access restrictions based on time/season?

The only thing I see in the data base so far is

surface=ice_road, six times, and
surface=ice, twice
http://osmdoc.com/en/tag/surface/#values

We find it mentioned here, under "surface=" which might not be
optimal, but is true, and observable by other mappers.

access=seasonal may be our best bet for now, given than trying to be
more-exact is likely to be more misleading.  After all, some maps
don't even show where traffic_signals are located, and drivers still
manage to obey them fairly often.  Perhaps we can count on drivers to
not drive into open water?  ;-)