[Talk-ca] Canvec sample - Halifax Nova Scotia

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 01:46:06 BST 2010

Hi Daniel,

Great work!
I have contacted User:steve in Halifax via the OSM-web system.
(there are so many Steve's so i dont remember the email address :)
I informed him that this sample data is available.

I have updated the Halifax Wiki, as im also working on the area.
... when there are local area mappers IMO they should get 1st dibs ...
as they are the once's who did the most work.

According to the stats;
There are 70 authors in the area with user:SteveInHalifax with 68% of
the edits.  and the next closest is 2 users at 7% each and the rest at
2% and under. with minor edits.

There are 81,155 objects in the sample file.  it's a nice real small
area to work with.

For this kind of thing, working as a mapping party would be great for
this.  Then it all can be done in 1 sitting.   For the other areas
that are less populated, the same courtasy should be met.   Contacting
local area mappers to see if they are interesed, does take some time.
So ... IMO  contacting just the users who are in the top should be
done & letting them work on it, is probably best.

The new address:interpolation looks good,  and it appears that on the
ground, its just needed to fill in the rest of it,  (as mappers are
adding more detail).

About the coastline  (once i hear back from Steve) i'll give him a few
days)  then i will copy in the natural=water.

What i plan on doing is this method:
step 1:  download all of the OSM data in a new layer that covers this
sample area
Step 2:  Copy the multi-polygon from the sample area and select the relation.
step 2:  check the size of it, and see that it is less than 2,000
nodes.  (if it is larger, paste it in a new layer to work with)
step 3:  paste (the part of it your working on) into the 'Data Layer 1'
step 4:  start at one and of it,  and find the natural=coastline
step 5:  adding nodes to smooth out the coastline & move them to line
up with the natural=water polygon.
step 6:  use the Toporama WMS layer (change resolution)  so to use as
a backdrop background.  the canvec sample should line up EXACTLY as
Toporama.
step 7:  slide the costline nodes over to line up with the
natural=water multi-polygon
step 8:  select both intersecting nodes
step 9:  Tools / Merge Nodes  or  Ctrl+M (on windows keyboard)
... then add & merge nodes all the way around it.

Upload changes, so then it doesnt get lost.  (make sure your onw the
'Data Layer 1' layer as selected, otherwise it would upload the entire
sample are file.... and you dont want that)

So for the rest of the features, what this means is that the Top local
area contributor will be able ot make the decision themselves on just
how they want to proceed.   Do they want to start in 1 corner and just
copy in & merge intersecting nodes of the data.  Or do they want to
remove the way that was perviously done and add this version in.

In this case, for downtown Halifax,  it would be better to just slide
the OSM data over a little (using the sample dataset & toporama) as a
background.   then just copy in the address:interpolation ways. as
they go along.

Building nodes:
initially we agreed that adding the building=yes  as nodes should NOT
be included.
Does anyone have a reason why these cant be added?

The reason why, is that in some cases, we could actually use the house
node as part of the end=node  for the address.
I think that this information would be fine to have.
---- Should these be included?  are they already included?

Pond Example:
In OSM, Purcells Pond, is actually better quality than the canvec data.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/iWVKyusTUvMDDanQ_sEhHQ?feat=directlink

So we would want to make sure that this pond is kept.

Lake example:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/8GATHRZsnQgWcOUWAwYaaQ?feat=directlink
For this one, (as it's said in the picture)  it's better to just move
it over & add nodes to make it better.

Islands/rock/place:
(as in the link above)  for the 2 pieces of land like an island 'or a
rock that sticks out'   if it's known locally with a name, that could
be added.  I add "place=island" when i see it.   Perhaps this can be
up to the discression of the local mapper?

...  NTS tiles:
And finally,  i would like to recommend actually uploading the big
rectangle to OSM  & indicating that you (the local area mapper) are
currently working on it.   So then it becomes known to other mappers,
to just hold off on mapping.  Or have a mapping meetup ASAP.   Then
once the user is done loading the data, the rectangle can be removed.

When i was adding the Victoria landuse=residential polygon, i did it
in stages, as there were lots of other mappers doing work all over.
... so IMO.  If i hosted a mapping party, then at least a few people
would show up, so it isn't just 1 person.  & it would all be done in 1
sitting.

Ok that's all for now :-)

Again, great work!

Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blogs: http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/
http://Acrosscanadatrails.blogspot.com
Skype: samvekemans
IRC: irc://irc.oftc.net #osm-ca Canadian OSM channel (an open chat room)
@Acrosscanadatrails