[Talk-ca] french /english names an other topics...

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon Jun 7 16:13:58 BST 2010

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 10:30 AM, Bégin, Daniel
<Daniel.Begin at rncan-nrcan.gc.ca> wrote:
> Bonjour,
>
> Ci-joint un ensemble de commentaires/réponses concernant les derniers courriels reçus
>
> * About named features.  In general, features are named in French over Quebec and in English for the rest of Canada.  To keep it simple, I have decided to assign the French name to the "name=*" tag when a features has both English and French.  However, in those cases, the tag name:fr and name:en are also assigned (the feature will have the name, name:fr and name:en tags).  In all cases local mapper are invited to modified the name tag if the French name is not really used by the community.

This is ideal and I recommend it.  It allows trivial creation of a
"default" map like we see on osm.org (French in Quebec, English in
Ontario.)  It also allows trivial creation of an all French or an all
English map, as I have on my demo server.  I think I've linked it
previously.

I hope to have a better demo available late tomorrow.

> * About French translation of the Canvec wiki pages. I wished to create French pages instead of having both language in the same page (I find it confusing).  I just did not have the time to figure out how to do it.  If someone knows how to create them could you send me the recipe...

I started it for you.  I didn't know either.  Looks like this works:
- start at the page you wish to translate
- add language code to the address, like:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FR:CanVec
- edit new FR: page
- include template {{language|CanVec}} at top of both pages so the
translations link to each other.