[Talk-ca] I'd like to run something to add a French street name tag in Ottawa

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon Jun 21 00:32:00 BST 2010

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 6:54 PM, john whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Basically restricted to Ottawa (how?)
>
> If highway and no tag name:fr exists and second word in name is street
>
> then add tag name:fr first value is "rue + first word from name"  Note lower
> case rue here.
>
> If that one works correctly then I'd like to repeat it for
>
> Avenue=avenue
> Crescent=crossiant
> Road=chemin
> Drive=promenade
> Boulevard=boulevard
> Lane=ruelle
>
> Suggestions please.  Note the French has been verified as correct and this
> will allow me to display French streets names in Ottawa.  Politically that
> would be very helpful as a lever in getting the City's data under ODbL
> license.
>
> If some one else could run this for me I'd be grateful since I haven't done
> something like this before.

Dear John,

Sure.  I'm still under some deadline pressure but I should be able to
get something like this done this week.  We can at a minimum, test it
and run it on some sample data, and then I can render it on my test
server so you can show it to folks.

I won't run it against the live data and change the data on the server
unless the community thinks this is a good idea.  You and I think it
is; let's see if some others support the idea.

You want this to be restricted to Ottawa.  Do we have a municipal
boundary relation for Ottawa?  It looks like the Ottawa relations are
for Kansas, Illinois and Ohio.  It would be super to have a boundary
relation for Ottawa Canada, but an approximate bounding box for the
test area you would like would be fine as well.

Please note that the Project of the Week this week relates to
translations.  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Project_of_the_week/2010/Jun_20

Best regards,
Richard