[Talk-ca] tagging & canada map features & Garmin Map Features

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 06:03:21 GMT 2010

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 6:32 PM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
> Sam Vekemans wrote:
>
>> So on this GoogleDocs chart, i can list a yes/no & at what zoom levels
>> these map features show up on mapnik & cyclemap & osmarender.. or any
>> other map thats available.
>
> Can this go in the wiki someplace instead?  I'd rather see this
> information go in our "one-stop shop" for information, rather than
> spread it into some proprietary mechanism if possible.

Sure, go ahead. It's a wiki- and anyone can edit it.   (I recommend
also using the IRC chat as it's a quick way to get responses, rather
than waiting on the talk pages)

The challenge with the wiki-tables is that it is not designed to be
able to handle large spreadsheets.   It's also not possable for
multiple editors to be editing the wiki-chart.  Nor can forms & html
web pages & pie-charts & csv files & forms & etc...pdf files . be
created with the wiki.

Spreadsheets have an advantage because you are able to do
"="cellA41+cellB53" & it allows for much better organizing of
information.   ... i would use OpenOffice Calc, but that doesn't have
a interactive web-version.

When you are listing 500 map features, the wiki (although wonderful)
can't handle all 500 features & list all the details.  As you would
need to separate them onto different pages.

So if you would like to transfer & update the wiki with tables go
right on ahead. (seriously, it's on my list of things todo, so go for
it)

I'd start by updating this page
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/POI_Types
so then it lists the cross-reference to the appropriate wiki-pages.

So ya, it's on my list of things todo, but if you want todo that, go
right on ahead.

P.S. If you'd like to be an editor to the spreadsheet, just ask :0)