[Talk-ca] Canadian Tagging Guidlines

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 07:17:39 GMT 2010

Hi all,
I did some major work on the wiki about this.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Canadian_tagging_guidelines

When i was chatting with the mapper in Empress, Alberta he noticed that i
changed the tag of the outside rim of the residential area of the town.
Because these are often dirt roads, with out pavement & markings it's hard
to tell what the road class should be.
And also, in this area it's still rather empty (as Saskatchewan Roads
haven't been imported yet), as we know the road class changes when you get
to a new province.

Anyway, i took some ideas that were on the talk page of it, as well as the
ideas from the past years discussions about this tagging & tried to give
some examples & make some recommendations.   The page still needs some work,
and i think that a chart (like the one over on the talk page)
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Canadian_tagging_guidelines#Highway_Tagging_In_Canadashould
be modified & used.

It would be great to make a nice clear 1 page summery of exactly what the
situation is, so it can be a good point of reference for new mappers.

What i didn't include on the page is a map-key of what how the Toporama map
compares & lists the roads as, since it is encouraged that people use the
WMS layer while mapping.

Cheers,
Sam

Twitter: @Acrosscanada