[Talk-ca] CVRD map data is available for download on the CVRD FTP Site.

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 03:05:21 GMT 2010

Hi Rob,
I've cc:'d the talk-ca at openstreetmap.org Canada Mailing list, as well as the
international imports at openstreetmap.org list.

It was great chatting with you earlier today, and im glad that you were
impressed with the mapping work for the Duncan area
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=48.744&lon=-123.893&zoom=11&layers=B000FTF
As you saw, it's now all green & shows a whole lot of detail.

It was great to hear how you see the value of making this information
available.   I have taken a quick look at what data is available & can see
how it can be used to further help build OpenStreetMap, I will be updating
the wiki page  (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Canada:British_Columbia:Cowichan_Valley_Regional_District)
with details.  As you probably can see, some of the features are already in
the map.  So as I explained on the phone, (and was your initial concern) is
about having a way to ensure that the latest data is available.   Because
there are multiple users, who all go out their with their GPS devices and
record information; there are times when this recorded information is
actually worse, equal or even better than what the CVRD has.    This all
depends on the method of acquisition, as some data was produced from aerial
imagery & others with more accurate GPS devices with better quality than the
Garmin GPSMap Cx can provide.

As I explained on the phone, the data from Natural Resources Canada has been
available now for some time & we have been able to convert the shp files and
have it available in the format we need, so it can be copied in directly
(choosing which attributes are needed & have value to the overall map), as
well as convert it to GPX so it could be traced over.  This data is also
available as a WMS layer, so then the latest data is available (& constantly
updated directly from the source), it can be simply traced over.
So this will ensure that the source data doesn't get alerted, but rather
just used to enhance our own map.   Although WMS service isn't available yet
from CVRD, a quick check to the source shp file (zip file) & looking at the
last updated date.
I have created an RSS feed of the http site, so then i will get notice of a
change, so then the local area user can be notified that it's available.
:) http://ftp.cvrd.bc.ca/cvrd/corporate%20services/it/gis%5Fdata/

Having access to these shp files will be a wonderful asset to the map area
of Cowichan Valley Regional District,  (this is covering the communities of
*Chemainus, Cobble Hill, Cowichan Bay, Duncan, **Ladysmith, Lake Cowichan,
Mill Bay, and Youbou *)

We need to thank the great work of user Hai-Etlik who has done tremendous
work, as a top contributor.  Covering most of the region.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Hai-Etlik
And Yes, there are 20 other mappers in the region since 18 March 2010, who
are from locally & around the world who have done an awesome job so far.
http://picasaweb.google.ca/lh/photo/YgwU8O_5dXZGdK08ttzSsQ?feat=directlink

... continued below
On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Rob Grant <rgrant at cvrd.bc.ca> wrote:

>  Hello Sam,
>

> I’ve checked out the Wiki web pages, so let me know if the following works
> for you.
>  ------------------------------
>
> The Cowichan Valley Regional District (CVRD) has made data available for
> free download and reference. Accessible through the CVRD website<http://cvrd.bc.ca/index.aspx?nid=224>,
> the Terms and Conditions of use are part of the download. The CVRD grants
> OpenStreetMap.org permission to reference this data for feature creation and
> edit.
>  ------------------------------
>
> http://cvrd.bc.ca/index.aspx?nid=224

Yes, it appears that the above notice should certainly be sufficient, for
inclusion to the OpenStreetMap project.  I have cc:'d the
talk-ca at openstreetmap.org discussion list, as well as the international
imports at openstreetmap.org list, so to share this information.

We (as a community) would like to thank you & the Cowichan Valley Regional
District, for make this data available to use.  In turn, just as you are
concerned about keeping the quality of the data the best that it can be.  We
(the OSM community) will ensure that the information is added on an as-need
basis, by manually going through all of the features data available to add &
modify, to help make OpenStreetMap.org, the worlds best free map.

Sam Vekemans
Across Canada Trails & OpenStreetMap Canada contributor
Victoria, BC

P.S. I have made a note, so to let you know when the import is complete,
just for your own reference.