[Talk-ca] Vancouver campus data

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 18:37:14 BST 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 1:46 AM, Gregory <nomoregrapes at googlemail.com> wrote:
> To imports and talk-ca mailing list,
> As you may know, I'm in Canada until May studying at the University of
> British Columbia (UBC), Vancouver.
> I'm doing one class in GIS and this week the teacher just introduced us to
> some data on the geography computers we can use for our project. It is from
> the UBC Plant Ops division and has a lot of exciting data for the Point Grey
> campus ( http://osm.org/go/WJQi9HNV- ).
> I think it would be great to have some of this data in OSM, as it would
> benefit both sides. For example they have all the bicycle rack locations,
> but we add the capacity to each node, and with the locations it would be
> easier to do that. I'm going to write an e-mail to my professor to see who
> his contact in Plant Ops is and then contact them to ask for OSM import
> permission

Gregory,

Bicycle racks would certainly be a welcome addition. I look at the
number around UVic and shudder.

However, who holds copyright on the data? They need to sign off on
importing it into OSM if it isn't licensed under fairly liberal terms.
If you don't know then it is likely all rights reserved. Plant Ops may
not have the ability to do this. Likely you are going to need to clear
it through Legal, which can add time and headaches.

> 1) Should the source tag be used on every node/way(that has other tags), or
> just on the changesets?

On all the nodes, so that we can see where they come from

> 2) Most layers imported I think will be none or few existing data, but some
> (like bicycle_parking) will have a fair few duplicates. Are there any good
> tools for that (does the US tiger remove dupes work for this?) or is it
> showing/hiding layers with JOSM?
>
> I had a bit of a look at the data in ArcGIS available and wrote these notes
> on what's there:
> The prof made a point of Plant Ops not using GIS, it's originally in a CAD
> program and so there is no metadata. For a lot of files it's just nodes with
> no data besides the co-ordinates and an id.
>
> It seems to geographically match OSM road shapfiles, which I aligned to GPS,
> so I don't see realignment being needed.

Check the datum and projection. They need to match what OSM uses,
which I currently cannot remember.

Cheers,

Corey